2013 had more railroad accidents than the past 40 years combined. Also, if you remember, a Quebec town was blown up, killing dozens instantly after the Lac Megantic rail disaster from under-staffing of a trail carrying dangerous tarsands bitumen in cars not rated for carrying it.
My pal Jerry mused: “if only we cold put the oil in sum sorta elongated cylindrical right of way where it could be monitored for leeks and it would take less energy to move it” (please excuse his typos, he has a learning disability).
Maybe he doesn’t mean like this pipeline explosion in Manitoba, leaving thousands without heat because they have no renewable heat sources for their homes? Maybe some of them have fireplaces still.
Here’s where government is going wrong. Giving jobs to oil execs, we end up with people like Pam Wallin in power.
Tragic fire from space.
Check out Mars in great detail.
Human life may have originated on Mars?
More link dumping:
-Teach your kid how to share.
An excellent list of free programs, and ones you cannot trust. Opt out of PRISM. Join your friends in a prism-break.
-Send messages encrypted “OTR”.
-Journalism’s slide into working for the man.
-Why Peace is Possible. An actually amazing video about a new way to think of peace. Paul K Chappell is worth learning from.
This is my new best meteor photo, and it came with some faint aurora (northern lights) at the bottom of the frame too!
CFI had a star party for watching the Perseid meteor shower on Saturday night. There should be more meteors tonight too, so head outside and look up for a few minutes and you’ll probably catch one or a few.
The group of us saw at least 2 impressive fireballs at different times. We saw the ISS make two passes overhead, and a smattering of other satellites. Some people saw an Iridium flare from a satellite. And the camp fire and food was fantastic also. What a great night!
On Friday night I was out with Jesse and we listened to Feist in Victoria Park.
Camp fire with a misty lens from the fog. Driving through it, it looked like we were at warp speed on the grid roads.
Another accidental fire in Lafleche last night, this one attributed initially to careless smoking (is there any other kind?). The Flying Goose Inn, the only bar and hotel in town, burned to the ground. Months ago, M.O.M, the bus station, also burned.
The hotel, a few weeks ago, in April.
Adding a little heartache to this story, it’s Lafleche’s 100th anniversary as a town, and Canada Day weekend is the celebration. Now there are fewer places for visitors to stay and visit in town, and there’s just another burned out lot.
On January 10, 1984, I was present when the Lafleche Bumper To Bumper caught fire and burned down; The story I recently read in my Grandma’s journal entry for that day.
Saturday’s road trip through the mist and fog yielded me the best wildlife photos I’ve ever had the privilege of shooting. Some photos from the earlier part of the trip I posted on Sunday morning.
Less than a few kms north of Glentworth, just turning toward the highway headed for Lafleche, we saw two herds on different sides of the road. They waited patiently as the humans in the car took many, many photos.
The last of the old Lafleche Red & White grocery store, and the former butcher shop that adjoined it to the north, has burned down. Most recently it was M.O.M a coffee shop and store. The main part of the Red & White had been torn down years ago. It was one of the many local grocery stores which my family used during the 80s and early 90s. I remember the three aisle store well, and its toy section at the back corner where I’d ogle the Transformers for sale, but out of my spending power. Instead, I blew my money on candy and 35¢ baseball and hockey cards.
ADDED: Some CTV video.
You can see what it looked like in the Summer before it burned last year in February. The arsonist was given 3.5 years in jail.
Here’s another non-fiery view:
Hat tip to Joan
You can see an active list of hotel fires in Saskatchewan here.
A few days ago I noticed sirens outside of my place, which is not unusual in a city beside a street that leads to the General Hospital from the #1 highway. Then I was out walking the dog, and there was a TV camera pointing into my backyard area. “Odd,” I remarked to myself. I read on the news that there’d been an apartment fire the night before, and I figured out why I heard sirens, and April realized why there’d been a TV camera poking around.
A neighbour had burned his suite out by improperly disposing of smoking materials. The version of events I heard was that he’d emptied an ash tray into a wastebasket before it was out (he didn’t realize this at the time of course), and went to the corner convenience store. By the time he returned 10 minutes later, his place was in flames. Fortunately these buildings are mostly brick and cindercrete and concrete, so the damage was contained to one apartment of a 16 apartment building, and no one was hurt. $50,000 is the estimated damage, from smoking.
A fire Friday evening in Regina has left the south Albert St. Dollarama in ruins. I was several blocks south of Parliament Ave. and the smoke was thick in the air at 9:00 p.m., and still lingering an hour later when the fire was well under control and out.
April and I drove by the store by chance, and saw a fire truck and investigation vehicle on the scene, after doing some late night sugar shopping.